The Desktop Trebuchet
Defend your desktop!
The mere presence of this striking machine on your desk will induce fear and respect among your peers. Take charge and besiege your opponents with a fully functional, genuine trebuchet for your desk!
It really works! It takes about two to four hours to assemble, which is a joy in itself with the hand selected wood and computer-controlled, precision cut parts. The professionally designed kit and fully detailed instructions - 10 pages of descriptions and tips, with of photos of every step - makes assembly a breeze. All you really need is some glue and a pair of scissors. For a more refined look, a little sandpaper and a small, round file would be helpful, but are entirely optional.
Performance! This mighty desktop artillery is capable of hurling the wooden ball projectiles (included) over twenty feet! Just load-up the counterweight bucket with about $1.50 in pennies and you've got a fully-loaded machine. Use less counterweight for shorter range, or experiment with different configurations of sling length and projectile/counterweight combinations.
The desktop trebuchet is a fantastic way to demonstrate the pinnacle of pre-gunpowder mechanical engineering technology. Great for classrooms or school science projects, or just a great display piece on your bookshelf or desk.
- Made from all hardwood, natural string and real leather.
- Computer controlled precision manufacturing for guaranteed-to-fit parts.
- 10 inches long, 9 inches wide and 11 inches tall.
- Propped counterweight box for increased potential energy. The counterweight box automatically props-up to a higher position when cocked.
- Sides lean inwards for shorter axle span. A shorter axle is stronger and won't "bounce", improving the performance and lifespan of the machine.
- Natural twine "ropes" for a more authentic looking model.
- Historically accurate trigger design is easier to operate than other friction-based triggers.
- Half-lap and reference-notched joinery make precision assembly easy to do without having to measure or mark anything.
- No metal or plastic parts! 100% wood and rope, but it's still a functional machine capable of hurling a ball across the room!
It's a wonderful model suitable to defend the portcullis of any office cubicle or classroom!
Scissors, Glue, Ruler, and a utility knife. Sandpaper is optional.
For a Master carpenter doing a sloppy job: about 2 hours.
A person with no kit building experience being extremely meticulous: about five hours.
The model in these photos was built by Ron Toms in about three hours.
- Height: 11" at the main axle.
- Length: 10"
- Width: 9"
Additional Counterweight Required: 150 pennies.
- 10 to 20 feet with the included wooden ball projectiles.
(Optimal range assumes a well tuned machine)
Shipping weight: 2 lbs.
Box dimensions: 19" x 12" x 3"
Quantity pricing info:
0 to 4 kits, standard price.
5 to 9 kits, 10% off
10 or more kits, 15% off
Orders of $200 or more get FREE ground shipping!
For more discount pricing info, please visit www.RLT.com/wholesale
WARNING! This is a functional model intended for display and/or educational demonstrations of physics. It contains a fast moving arm and projectile that can cause injury if you make contact when firing. Use only under strict, competent adult supervision.
* You'll need to supply the counterweight material. 150 pennies are recommended.
* Can throw 20 feet when properly constructed and tuned. Your performance may vary.